The Brother PQ1500S Straight Stitch Sewing Quilt Club Machine has been around for several years but is still a favorite for quilters that like using a machine to piece fabric tops, and do their quilting with a straight stitch. It’s a reliable sewing machine that has received good reviews from the quilting community. This machine is priced in the upper-mid cost range but it’s heavy-duty and operates like an industrial model sewing machine, which makes it worth the investment.
It’s two to three times faster than most home portables and made for durability and longevity. This featured Brother Sewing Machine has all-metal gears which will make it last much longer than those with plastic interior parts. Metal gears also hold up well when working on heavier and layered fabrics (like quilts). The Brother PQ1500s is one of the fastest home sewing machines on the market, sewing up to 1500 stitches per minute. It also has one of the largest sewing surface areas available. It comes with a generous accessory kit and an oversized fabric carrying case on wheels.
The Brother PQ1500S sewing machine is a good all-purpose machine that is easy to use on large-scale sewing projects. It is very user-friendly and has a fast learning curve so it’s perfect for beginners and experienced quilters alike. The large arm, F.A.S.T. needle threader, knee lift, and thread cutter are time savers and make it very convenient to use. And the extension table has room for sewing large projects, quilts, or even drapes. Quilters that use the Brother PQ1500S say it makes quilt assembly much easier and faster.
The presser foot can be operated with the knee lifter, and the foot pedal controls the stitching speed, leaving your hands free to manage the fabric. Most important work of the Brother PQ1500s, you will find a manually operated reverse lever for backstitching and reinforcing, and a color-coded upper tension setting dial. The needle stop position is also programmable so you don’t need to turn the balance wheel to raise the needle. When the needle is down the needle stop position button lights up so you can easily see where your needle is at any given time.
I love the fact that even when the extension sewing bed is being used, you can still access the vertical bobbin area so you don’t have to stop everything to change the bobbin. And there’s a quick automatic bobbin loader when you do need to change. I also like the metal bobbins that come in the accessory package. That’s a personal preference though. I just think they are more durable but some people like the clear plastic bobbins so they can easily see how much thread is left. You can use either kind on this Brother model. There is also a telescoping thread guide bar so you can use cone-style threads and a fast bobbin winder.
The exclusive pin feed mechanism is great for piecing together patchwork fabrics. It allows you to get a perfect point where the quilt pieces come together. Once the presser foot is lifted the pin automatically drops for safety. No fabric slipping or sliding. And the four feed dog settings give you precision fabric control. The feed dogs can be adjusted with an easy turn of a dial and they drop automatically when the presser foot is lifted. Another handy feature is the fabric separator for sewing together fabrics with different weights without puckering.
The PQ1500s model comes with an automatic thread cutter that cuts both top and bobbin threads with the push of a button and then instantly resets itself for the next use. No more looking for where you laid your scissors down the last time you used them.
- 1500 stitches per minute speed
- Extra-large work area
- Exclusive pin mechanism for precision stitches
- Automatic needle threading and thread cutting
- Includes only a straight stitch
- Somewhat heavy to move for a portable machine
- A bobbin-out indicator light would be a nice added feature
Features and Functions of the Brother PQ-1500S
- The Brother PQ-1500S comes with lots of high-end machine features that will make your quilting projects automated and easy. Read on for a comprehensive list of what this quilting machine will do.
- It has an exclusive adjustable pin feed that keeps the fabric layers even and prevents slippage. The mechanism comes up from below the needle plate eliminating the need for a walking foot attachment
- Sews an amazing 1500 stitches per minute for experienced machine quilters
- Has an automatic needle threader
- Automatic thread trimmer button that cuts top and bottom threads and resets for the next project
- Four adjustable feed dogs for fabric control.
- Large 12” x 18” bed extension to accommodate larger quilting projects and fussy fabrics
- An oversized 6” x 9” throat area to accommodate quilts and large projects
- Fast bobbin winding
- Programmable needle stop position
- An array of adjustable presser feet allow a wide range of quilting and sewing functions
- Knee and hand levers for presser foot lifting
- Stitch length up to 7mm for machine basting
- A telescoping thread stand to allow cone style thread
- Unique fabric separator that helps when sewing different fabric weights without puckering
- Sewing area light
- Reverse stitch lever
- Measures 12.6″ T × 7.9″ D × 19.3″ W
- Built-in handle
- Foot stitching control
- Manufacturers US warranty – 25 years on parts, 5 years on electrical, 1 year on labor
Included Sewing Tools and Accessories – Check The Website You Order From For Confirmation Of This List
- Plastic dust cover to protect the machine when not in use
- Rolling fabric storage case
- Screwdrivers and cleaning brush
- Presser foot knee lift
- An assortment of machine needles and a case
- Fabric separator attachment
- Feed pin and changer
- 5 metal bobbins
- Seam guide
- Foot controller
- Fabric extension table
- Sewing feet –
- 1. General-purpose foot
- 2. Rolled hem foot
- 3. Zipper foot
- 4. Invisible zipper foot
- 5. ¼” foot for quilt patchwork piecing
- 6. Quilting foot
- 7. Walking foot